The first line to open was on West Mountain Ave. and served the annual Race Meet and Stock Show at the county fairgrounds, now part of the City Park complex. Because the power plant was not yet in operation, the C&S used a small steam switcher and old coaches to provide service from downtown to the fairgrounds. The fare for this three-day operation was five cents per ride, the same basic fare that would stick with the system throughout its life.
Four new Woeber double-truck streetcars arrived from Denver in the fall and begain operating on all three lines on December 29, 1907. The cars were numbered 101-104. Two additional pair of Jewett motors and trailers were added later. Here is the two-man crew of car M-106 in the early years of operation. The conductor is Red Brewster.
Daily operation consisted of three cars running on the three lines. Each car had a two-man crew. All cars meet at the wye at Mountain and College every 20 minutes, then departed in a different direction. Cars ran from 5 AM through midnight, serving most of the businesses in the City, plus students at the high school on Pitkin and Colorado A&M College along College Ave.
After only a few years of operation, the D&I cut back on service by eliminating the conductor on each car. From then until the end in 1951, the motorman assumed the addional task of collecting fares and issuing transfers. Over the years, other economies were made to improve operation or save money, including dropping the stub line from Mountain and College to the C&S depot, and extending the College Ave. line East to Remington and Whedbee to form a loop though that southeastern residental area.
The D&I also built an interurban line between Denver and Boulder, and planned to extend the interurban north through Longmont and Loveland to the Fort. By 1918, however, the automobile had made a permanent dent in interurban and streetcar revenues. The D&I was loosing money on all its operations and fell into recievership. The Fort Collins system stopped running without warning on July 10, 1918.
A small group of volunteers began restoring Car 21 in 1977. They first moved the car to the old barn on North Howes St. and carefully dismantled it. While the restoration was taking place, the Fort Collins Municipal Railway Society organized in 1980 to complete the restoration and rebuild part of the original Mountain Ave. line to run Car 21. With help from many members and organizations, plus generous support from local businesses, we built a new two-stall barn on West Mountain Ave. and rebuilt most of the west Mountain Ave. line.
The first part of rebuilding was complete by the end of 1984, allowing restored Car 21 to run once again to City Park. The rest of the line was completed over the following two summers and turned over to the City in August 1986. As long-time fan and Society member, Jim Stitzel (shown above), said at the dedication ceremony: "The Society restored a 1.5 mile-long railway and historic streetcar valued at $2.5 million, and turned it all over to the City at no cost to the City or County." Since then, we've operated the car and maintained the railway at no cost to the City.
Car 21 has since carried over 200,000 riders. The restoration work has won both local and national recognition. The Society remains an all-volunteer effort maintaining the line and operating the car on summer weekends and holidays.
Second Car 25 came used from Virginia Railway & Power Co. in 1946, and was numbered 1520 when it ran on Richmond streets. It arrived in Fort Collins along with sister car 1530, becoming FCMR second Car 24. Second 24 eventually became a 'parts car' to help keep others running, while second 25 served the City well until operations ceased in June 1951. You see second 25 below meeting other cars downtown in 1944. FCMR second cars 24 and 25 were Brill products similar to FCMR cars from American Car Co. Noticeable differences are the high-back leather bucket seats, wider doors that open inward, and a bit longer than other cars.
All remaining FCMR Birneys were sold after the system shut down except Car 21. Second Car 25 was purchased by Jim Stitzel for less than $500 and moved to his family's second home in Victor, CO. It remained outside their former railroad depot until sold to SCANA Corporation of South Carolina in the early 1990s. SCANA cosmetically restored the car as their Charleston Car 407 for the 150th anniversary as a South Carolina utility. After the celebration, the car remained in storage in Columbia.
Second Car 25 changed hands in 1997 to Charlotte Trolleys, Inc. (CTI), a volunteer-based non-profit working with the city of Charlotte to provide a heritage streetcar experience. Purchase price this time was about $127,000. CTI planned to completely restore the car as Richmond car 1520 and operate it, along with other restored streetcars of the region, on Charlotte's expanding light-rail lines. Restoration cost was estimated at over $250,000.
The CTI mission changed in 2007 to restoring only cars that were ADA compliant. They contacted us in the hopes that we could complete the restoration. We quickly traveled to Charlotte, assessed the condition of the car and negotiated sale price and terms. Thanks to quick action by our Board and generous local donors, we raised the needed $196,000 purchase price and completed the purchase in December 2007. Car 25 is now back in the Howes St. carbarn, as shown below, undergoing a 5-7 year reconditioning.
For more about Car 25, see our newsletter archive.
Car 21 was built in 1919 by American Car Co., retired in 1951 and on display outside the Fort Collins Museum from 1953 through 1977. Volunteers restored car 21 from 1978 through 1985. We now operate it on spring and summer weekends. Here's Car 21
in current service on Mountain Ave:
Car 22 was built in 1919 by American Car Co. and retired in 1951. Car 22 was featured in a three-part series on streetcars in Railroad Model Craftsman magazine in the September thru November 1983 issues. The November issue included many
detail photos of Car 22 at the Colorado Railroad Museum, where it reposed from 1953-1996. It's now being restored by the
Pikes Peak Historical Street Railway Foundation. Below you see Car 22 entering City Park in the late 1940's where the restored line now ends at our depot.
First Car 24 was scrapped shortly after being purchased used from the Cincinnati Car Co. Second Car 24 (Brill) was purchased used from Richmond, VA in 1946, but seldom operated. Parts help keep other cars operating. Here's second Car 24
crossing the ditch at Bryant St. in 1947:
First Car 25 was built by American Car Co. for Cheyenne, WY in 1922. Fort Collins purchased it in 1924 but scrapped it prior to 1951. Second Car 25 (Brill) was purchased from Richmond, VA in 1946 and sold to James Stitzel in 1953. Second Car 25 resided next to the former Midland Terminal depot in Victor, CO until sold to the South Carolina Power Co. about 1990, where it was cosmetically restored as Charleston, SC car 407. After a celebration, it was sold to Charlotte Trolley, Inc. in 1998. Plans were to restore it to operation as original Richmond Car 1520.
We purchased Car 25 in 2007 and are restoring it for operation. Above is second Car 25 awaiting service outside the Howes St. carbarn in 1949. For more about Car 25, click Car 25 Returns above.
First Car 26 was built by American Car Co. for Cheyenne, WY. Fort Collins purchased it in 1924. Second Car 26
(Brill) was purchased from Richmond, VA in 1946. Sold to the Midwest Chapter
of the National Railway Historical Society in 1953. Second Car 26 participated in a transit history parade in Detroit before
being donated to the Henry Ford Museum. Now on static display in Greenfield Village.
Below is Car 26 on Whedbee at Olive St. on the last day of operation in June 1951. For more about Car 26's 1953 adventure in
Detroit, read an article from the Midwest Chapter's newsletter.
MW02 (in background above) is a Fairmont A4E gang-car built in 1981 for the Canadian National RR. We purchased it from a Canadian dealer in 2002 to operate a mechanical flangeway cleaner that we designed. Both cars have been upgraded to two-axle drive to cope with our in-the-grass median.